Tuesday, August 12, 2014

S-3B Viking, bug report, suggestions, etc.



I am quite happy to see that, apparently, there are not catastrophic issues with the 0.99 release of the Viking. This is indeed good news - but still there are a couple of things that I'd like to fix.
Here is a list of known bugs / suggestions / requests / FAQs with my comments ("Fixed" means that it is fixed in my own build):

1) [BUG] Wrong entry in the aicraft.cfg makes it impossible to see the NASA livery - Fixed

2) [BUG] Incorrect cruise speed, especially at high altitudes (aicraft is slightly too slow) - I will check the NATOPs and will work on this to find a proper fix.

3) [Request] Torpedoes not working: torpedoes are not currently supported by Tacpack and therefore are not implemented.

4) [Request] Missing SENSO and TACCO stations: unfortunately I have no time and resources to do them, besides they would have little or no function in FSX

5) [Request] Where is the S-3 AI Tanker? It is almost ready. It will be initially released as a separate file, but may be integrated in the base package in the initial release.

6) [BUG] External Light switches are not working - I will fix that.

7) [BUG] Launch bar still having issues on some system - I will investigate that, but cannot guarantee a solution as it is perfectly working on my system...

8) [BUG] Allowed airspeed error on carrier approach is too small - I will investigate that, but I am reclutant to make big changes to the flight model in that department, as the carrier behaviour seems quite good...

9) [BUG] Autothrottle apparently not working as intended on my system (but I have checked the code several times and it seems OK)...

10) [BUG] Reflection of bomb bay doors is slightly different from the rest of the fuselage.

....if you have other things to report, you are welcome to do it here. I will keep the list updated, at least for a while, to track what your feedback.
Also, as usual, I am looking to improve all my aicrafts and any suggestion on the F-35, F-14 and T-45 is welcome.

8 comments:

Dan said...

Can't seem to get the F35 to work in VTOL using Prepar3d 2.2. Am I doing something wrong, or can't it be done i 2.2?

ScimmiaSpaziale said...

STOVL functions should work correctly in both P3Dv2.2 and V2.3.
Instructions are in the manual.
Are you within the weight limits for VTOL flight?

Unknown said...

A suggestion for the F35 more Armament options i really like to see the f35 with 8 AIm-120 for example

Seawing said...

Hi Dino!

I would like to the list of S-3 issues a few questions and suggestions:

1) Is the APU actually working (FSX function) not to drain the battery?
2) Could the APU door be linked either to the APU switch itself or the gear to have it closed in flight? I think, from looking at some S-3 pictures and videos, on the ground it should also be slightly more open.
3) The altimeter 1000ft-handle is slightly displaced. When flying on e.g. 2000ft it looks as if it is indicating 500ft.
4) I understand the problem with the torpedos in TACPACK, but would it be possible just to jettison by selective jettison? They wouldn't do anything, but one could at least drop them (to simulate an attack - since there are no submerged submarines in FSX neither). This would add so much realism to the aircraft, since it being a sub-hunter, dropping torpedos is really its raison d'etre.
5) Can the speed of the tail fold be reduced? At the moment it swings up and down much too fast. Also the wings fold too fast. From my timings in S-3 video the fold/unfold time is about 17 seconds and the numbers for the aircraft.cfg file should be around 0.06 therefor.

Great work anyway!! Thanks for this great aircraft!!

Seawing

Unknown said...

Is anyone else having problems with the cockpit where everything is black and certain exterior parts? I have this problem also with the F35 any tips?

JohnGG said...

Dino,

Your S-3B is a great aircraft and I have really enjoyed flying it. The main thing missing are the landing lights but I expect that will be fixed when, as you said, you will fix the external lights.

A couple of things that would be nice to have:

1. The ability to press "C" and center the VC cockpit as you have in the T-45 Goshawk.

2. An indicator to show the amount of elevator trim so it can be set, especially for take-off.

Thanks so much for all the great aircraft you have built. You are among the elite of the aircraft simulation world.

JohnGG said...

Dino,

Your S-3B is a great aircraft and I have really enjoyed flying it. The main thing missing are the landing lights but I expect that will be fixed when, as you said, you will fix the external lights.

A couple of things that would be nice to have:

1. The ability to press "C" and center the VC cockpit as you have in the T-45 Goshawk.

2. An indicator to show the amount of elevator trim so it can be set, especially for take-off.

Thanks so much for all the great aircraft you have built. You are among the elite of the aircraft simulation world.

Strikehawk said...

Hi Dino,
I am loving your Viking. I have a request.
1 Can you please remove the reflection on the canopy or at least include optional textures for non-reflective glass? I had a terrible time getting orientated in a hazy Southern California sky the other day trying to line up for not only a carrier landing but one on shore too.